Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Fear of Brokenness

Here in Your presence, I'm not afraid of brokenness - Kari Jobe "Beautiful"
Darlene Zschech once said that she constantly asks that her heart be broken everyday, so she'd never lose her tenderness and pliability.

To me the word broken meant a big no-no. I do not like nor wish to ever be broken. Being broken is synonymous to pain and suffering - something I spend most of my days trying to avoid. But living in a broken and fallen world means brokenness is inevitable. So futile were my efforts to avoid all pain.

Realised something interesting the other day when I reflected upon suffering and surviving. There's something different about being held in the hands of God and brokenness. Kari Jobe expressed it really well - here in Your presence, I'm not afraid of brokenness. (Thank you Bex for recommending this song). It is in the times where I am away from the Protector that I begin to fear brokenness. Conversely, it is in the times when I stay put in His presence, where brokenness becomes sustainable and even desirable. Afterall, He is love, and how broken can you get when you're surrounded, filled, and held in love? Simple enough yet so so hard to constantly remember this.

How often do I allow situations to shape my faith, rather than letting my faith shape situations. Justin reminded me this today: "we don't believe in God because circumstances are favorable to us, we believe in God because of who He is." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment